Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Great Cheetah Experience (Part 2)

Cheetahs may be the focus of Cheetah Experience, but I spent as much time with other big cats while I was there. Two nine-week old lionesses, Jade and Je T'aime, took up most of time, since I was granted the responsibility of their 7 am morning feed, and cleaning up their nursery/bedroom in the morning.

Jade and Je T'aime




How could anyone not melt at the sight of these two little angels? Every morning, as we prepared their milk formula, you could hear them mewling and yowling away for their food. They were rambunctious little girls who loved human attention. Endlessly curious, they would rush up to investigate any new person or toy who entered their space. My leg, for one: 





Then there was my sleeve:


Occasionally, my head/hair:

The camera strap was a real hit, too:


Those of you who've seen me since Cheetah Experience would have noticed the "souvenirs" these girls left on my hands: 


To be clear, the scars didn't come from their teeth. You try taking an empty milk bottle away from a hungry baby lioness, and see what they do with their claws. 

There were so many great moments that I couldn't capture them all on camera, but here are some of the ones that I did, and I hope they bring you as many smiles as they bring me:




Some mornings, the cubs played in a yard outside my window, and they would constantly look in if they saw anyone in the room

Lion babies need sleep to grow strong too!
Once, Jade fell asleep on me, I was stuck there until she woke up. 
Other than milk, the babies were starting to take solid food. 

A portrait photo of Jade

You wouldn't believe how vocal these girls are:





Jade and Je T'aime have really grown since August! Track their progress and growth at Cheetah Experience's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment